Sunday, April 28, 2013

Information age - Consumption Vs. Production

I have been thinking a lot about this issue.. about impact of practically infinite amount of information, content availability at dirt cheap price on the internet.. or I should say primarily on internet as there are still some avenues left to consume information and content outside of internet..

Important thing is that, now a days, kids so young in age start consuming information and content and pleasure and fun from so many indirect / non-human sources that it literally makes them addicted to this consumption pattern of information.. The same tools also gives us opportunity to produce information or content or media.. but the way I see it.. it is mostly becoming one way street...

iPhones/iPads are taking over baby sitter roles and keeps kids (and to some extent adults as well) really busy... It is great.. there is nothing wrong in easy access to content from these new delivery mechanisms.. but.. does it leaves any time for kids to produce something out of their brain? or I should say.. how much time kids day dream and imagine and build some creative games using their own imagination.. I don't know about you.. but I feel that brains have hardly any time left to produce and create content. This content need not go out to the world in some form or other.. first thing is that some content is produced by sheer imagination of individuals.. they themselves should be able to enjoy this original authentic content and grow on it..

Some of you will argue that all these new delivery mechanisms and tool sets are the reason all this content is coming out in exponential proportions.. so there is definitely up-tick in more content production.. However, this content usually is coming out of adults.. commercial companies usually for profit organizations.. Content production facility inside human brain, in particular inside kids brain has come to almost halt.. How this is going to impact in future is yet to be seen.. I am sure ultimately we will continue to become more creative and our content product will continue to grow.. but this content production is coming really from very few and these "very few" will become  more and more extinct..

It could be just my perception looking around my own personal life and circle.. don't know.. but after observing all this I started trying question... rather than simply absorb "gyan" (knowledge) from others and many times stopped following others "gyan" and started trying to think about issues with independent (whatever independence I can exert) mind.. I still find results of this new approach more or less mixed.. or same as earlier.. actually to be honest, slightly better than before as I started getting satisfaction of testing my own hypothesis and enjoying results.. irrespective of good or bad results..

Now a days.. I feel that I am going towards other side of the spectrum.. I don't know.. either way.. one thing is sure.. if something gives happiness to me... then I simply don't care about rest of the world.. as long as no one else gets physically or mentally hurt by my actions..

and that is one purpose of this blog.. I am expressing my own views on the any kind of information I come across... if I get time to think about it and come up with my views.. I document it whenever possible .. and lot of time I hear back from you all.. some times praises but mostly I hear back when people have different views than mine or when they don't like it.. which is good.. I think it helps me further.. so please keep letting me know your views and feedback.. 

No comments: